Miss Linda Productions cancels ‘The Crucible’ citing resignation of two lead actors
Joel Corda this week posted on his blog, joelcorda.com, that “The Crucible,” which he was directing with Steve Olson and Act 1 Theatre Productions (Miss Linda Productions), has been cancelled.
Corda said the reason was due to the fact that two lead actors had quit the production and they did not have the time to re-cast the positions. The cast and crew had been rehearsing since late August.
It was scheduled for Oct. 27, 28 and 29 followed by Nov. 3, 4 and 5 at C.M. Russell High School.
In his blog post, Corda writes, “This week, it was business as usual, minus a bit of a nasty cold. Three masses last weekend, plus two rehearsals. Then, during the week, it was teaching and Crucible rehearsals at night. We were to open in three weeks. One more scene to work through and we were to be in the running of the show. I say “were” because after rehearsal on Tuesday night, one of my lead actors waited until everyone else had gone to inform me that he and his wife (one of the other lead actresses) were “resigning” from the play. Oh, boy.”
He continues, “I felt pissed off. I felt sad. I felt confused. I felt, briefly, like taking a shot. I let each of these pass through, giving them appropriate attention and then let them go. All while listening.
“It’s hard to not take two actors quitting the show any other way than personally and I do have those thoughts. I had the righteous anger of a guy that has been in a lot of shows, including some really crappy shows, that, even if I wanted to, never quit. I wouldn’t let other folks down … It was a long, sad drive and we came to the realization that we couldn’t salvage this show at such a late date.”
Corda said he’d have more information about what happened posted on his blog by the end of the month. He declined to name the actors who resigned.